Saturday, November 2, 2013

Quinoa risotto with purple carrot and fish

I was blog-hopping and I came across this very interesting blog by the name of Queen of Quinoa. I was already attracted to it seeing the name. Being a big advocate of quinoa, I subscribed to it, I can do with learning more diverse ways cooking and baking with quinoa. Quinoa risotto, quinoa Buddha bowl, quinoa greek salad with chickpeas, quinoa burger!! Whoa!? I didn't know which one I wanted to start with.

I decided to start with a quinoa risotto for the lil' fella. In fact, I never knew quinoa can make risotto. I wasn't sure it would give the same creaminess that is usually yielded from Arborio rice. Never know until I try it, right?



 
 
Verdict? Yummmm!! It was full of texture and tasted sweet. Quinoa risotto is definitely unlike the usual Italian risotto made from Arborio rice, quinoa gave it more texture, more bite. I cooked it for extra longer time so that it was easy for the lil' fella to take. The risotto was made with a stock I previously made from purple carrots, red onions and lean pork meat, thus giving it the sweetness I wasn't expecting. As usual, I had leftover for my salad the next day.


My next morning brekkie: Greek salad with quinoa and roasted purple carrot
Ingredients:
This recipe makes 3 portion for the lil' fella (he has just turned one)
  • 1/2 cup of tricolor quinoa or white quinoa (your choice)
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • half onion, finely minced
  • few Thai basil leaves, chopped
  • half a purple carrot, cubed
  • about 2-3 cups of stocks
  • 1 white fish fillet (I used threadfin)
  • 1tsp of Italian herbs
  • cracked black pepper
  • 2tbsp cream cheese
Instructions:
  1. Soak the quinoa for about 1hr before use. I realized quinoa has a tint of bitterness to it if I don't soak it.
  2. Meanwhile, heat a little grapeseed oil in a pan over medium heat and add the garlic, onions and herbs. Saute until fragrant, 2 - 3 minutes. Add the carrot and saute until it begins to soften, another 5 minutes or so. Season with pepper (you may add salt).
  3. Add in the quinoa, sauté for another 2minutes, pour in stocks. Simmer for about 20-30minutes. Add in fish fillet. Continue to add vegetable broth, if it seems dry and simmer until you get the consistency you're looking for. I added 2tbsp cream cheese into to give it an extra creaminess.
  4. Remove from the heat, transfer to a serving dish and enjoy immediately. This is also delicious topped with a little freshly grated cheese.
  5. Enjoy!
 
This is the photo of a purple color stock I previously made and kept frozen. It's cooked with lean pork meat, purple carrots, tomato and onion. I usually use it when preparing porridge for the lil' fella. I also use it to make up my cous cous for my breakfast.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...