Monday, March 31, 2014

My boy's first wanton

Being a mom, being a nutritionist, being a founder of an FB group 'Healthy Food For My Baby' with over 15k members, I have unconsciously toned down my feistiness. Back then, I would easily blurt out my opinion or my stance either on FB or directly to your face, but for my own good, for my future's sack, as my son's role model, I should keep myself calm. Guess I'm finally improving my EQ.
 
Okay, the above statement has nothing whatsoever to do with the recipe or food that I'm gonna share. I'm only voicing out my current thoughts on a not very nice Monday morning. I realized my blog is my only place where I can vent out my frustration.  
 
Back to my boy's first homemade wanton.. I can't remember if I have ever wrapped or made wanton before. I cannot recall for sure. In my memory, this is the first wanton I've made for my boy and everyone in the house (maid included, lucky her), and I'm pleased with it. I youtubed to find out if there's a proper way to wrap wanton (yes, you can find all sorts on youtube these days and there are some ways to wrap wanton), but I realized I mistakenly bought the small size wanton sheets, so there's no way I can wrap it other than just making sure it seals the hefty filling I put in properly.
 
We had it for breakfast, and I've also packed a portion to bring to the nanny's for the lil' fella's lunch.
 
Aren't they cute? They look like little money bag from those olden days.



Organic mee-sua with homemade wanton, served w/ amaranth leaves soup
 
 
Filling for wanton (makes about 25-30 mini wanton)
  • 300-400g pork mince
  • half an onion, minced
  • 1/3 medium size carrot, minced
  • 1 Chinese mushroom, soaked till soft, minced
  • 2tbsp chopped spring onion
Seasoning for pork mince, I marinated them overnight so that the flavor infuses better 
  • 1tbsp vegetarian black bean 'oyster' sauce
  • 3tbsp liquid amino
  • 1tbsp toasted sesame oil, organic
  • white pepper powder
  • 1tsp corn flour
The next morning, I combine the marinated pork mince with the minced vegetables and a beaten egg white, and wrapped with wanton sheets. Place about a teaspoon of the filling in the centre of the wanton, brush sides of wanton sheet with water and seal.
 
To cook the wanton, simply dump them into a pan of boiling water. When the wantons are cooked, they will float on top of the water.
 
I served them with organic meesua and some amaranth leaves and egg soup with goji (wolfberries)
 
The soup was prepared with
  • Ikan bilis stock
  • Amaranth leaves 苋菜
  • handful of goji (wolfberries) 枸杞
  • 2 Chinese mushroom, soaked till soft, sliced
  • 1 beaten egg, added in the end
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...