Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Soft honey brioche (Barefoot contessa)



 
 
I actually baked this recipe last night and did it another time this morning. It's seriously good!!
 
I came across it through a blogger-friend Alice who highly highly recommended it. She said, 'MUST MUST MUST' try! That's why I tried it. And it's seriously a MUST TRY. What a wonderful recipe by Ina.
 
I did a brioche few weeks ago and seriously this is sooo much better and softer. I think I've found a brioche recipe. Also, unlike the conventional recipe for brioche, this doesn't need to be proofed overnight :)
 
The first time I did it, I halved the recipe to bake in my mini handy breadmaker. Half of the recipe fits nicely in the breadmaker. The dough was quite wet and tacky to start with. I had to keep on checking the recipe to see if I've added anything less or more. I didn't think I did anything wrong. It also rose quite fast. I actually managed to get this bread done in less than 3hrs.
 
Here's the recipe (Original recipe known as honey white bread by Ina Garten)
 
  • 1tbsp instant active yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2cups warm whole milk (I replaced the warm water w/ more milk)
  • 6 tbsp butter (at room temperature)
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2 extra-large egg (the ori recipe uses just yolk, but Alice used egg, so I used whole egg too)
  • 5 cups bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt (I only used 1tsp)
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten (as egg wash)
  •  
    Instructions:
    I baked the loaf in my breadmaker. This is the order I've placed my ingredients in the breadpan: honey, milk, sugar, salt, egg, bread flour, yeast. The butter was added when all the ingredients has come together.
     
    For instructions on how to do this without a breadmaker, refer here.
     
    I served it with an equally creamy avocado-cream cheese egg filling, made using:
    • Half an avocado
    • 2tbsp cream cheese
    • 1tsp plain yogurt
    • 2 hard boiled egg
     





     
     
    My boy has just started walking, unassisted, at 16mth.
     
     
     
     

    I'm linking this post to Cook Like A Star 2nd Anniversary Cooking Party March & April 2014 hosted by Zoe from Bake For Happy KidsMich from Piece of Cake and Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, where we can cook or bake like Donna Hay, Barefoot Contessa, Jamie Oliver, Masterchef, Martha Stewart, Delia Smith, Curtis Stone, Nigella Lawson, Ree Drummond and Bill Granger.
     
     

    4 comments:

    1. Hi Jen,
      Lovely bread! I have seen this at Alice's too and have bookmarked this recipe to try. It looks very soft and fluffy! Thanks for sharing with CLAS.
      Your little boy is a cutie!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Jen,

      I'm totally amazed with this recipe too when I baked it 2 years back. Mine was very soft and fluffy too! Nice to know that Alice and you like the recipe too!

      Your little boy is becoming a little walking man now... so cute!

      Zoe

      ReplyDelete
    3. Such good reviews of the recipe, your bread looks so soft and fluffy! Maybe I should make this too.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Amazingly gorgeous looking bread. I love your presentation too. And your boy is so darling!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...