Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spinach loaf with black eyed bean



 
 
I dunno why, but everytime I make spinach loaf, it always turn out very very soft and fluffy. Of course, I know a lot of it is because of the scalded dough method, but somehow I felt that the spinach version is sooo much fluffier. This spinach loaf is quite similar to the one I previously made, with the exception that this recipe makes a bigger loaf (to fit in my newly bought loaf tin, measuring 20cm x 10.5cm x 11cm) and it makes use of spinach and black eyed bean sauce and the loaf has cooked black eyed beans in it for extra bites.
 
Here's the recipe, adapted from Alex Goh's scalded dough method
 
Scalded dough
  • 100g bread flour
  • 70g boiling water

 Pour hot boiling water over bread flour. Mix to combine. Leave cool for 30min in fridge.

Main dough
*The ingredients were added into the breadmaker pan in the following order
  • 100g spinach and black eyed beans sauce, refer here for the recipe
  • 150g water (normal room temperature)
  • 45g grapeseed oil
  • 2tbsp molasses sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 150g bread flour
  • 150g wholemeal bread flour
  • 100g all purpose flour
  • make a well in middle of flour, and place in 1tsp. active dry yeast



 

 
Instructions:
  1. I kneaded the dough using my Donlim breadmaker.
  2. Select the “dough” mode. When all ingredients come together (about 3-5min in my case), add the scalded dough prepared ahead in little pieces.
  3. Let the dough complete the 1st round of proofing, until doubled in size, about 45min to an hour.
  4. Transfer the dough to a clean floured surface. Deflate and divide into 3 equal portions (about 270g each). Knead into ball shapes. Cover with plastic wrap, let rest for 15 minutes at room temperature.
  5. Roll out each dough ball with a rolling pin into an oval shape. Sprinkle cooked black eyed beans. Roll up the dough and seal tightly. Roll out each portion with a rolling pin. Seal faces upward and roll into a cylinder shape (or swiss roll look-alike). Arrange the rolled-up dough in a greased or non-stick loaf tin. Repeat this step for the other two portions. Leave it for the 2nd round of proofing, about 45 minutes, or until the dough rises up to 4/5 of the height of the tin inside.
  6. Bake in a pre-heated 170C oven* (in my case, I baked at 160deg C in my khind toaster oven) for 35 minutes. Remove the loaf from the oven and tin. Transfer onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
     

5 comments:

  1. Hi there, just discovered your lovely site. And immediately hooked up with your bread. Hope you can share the recipe with my readers at International Yeasted Recipe. Looking forward to seeing you there.
    Enjoy & have a great weekend.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Kristy, thanks for dropping by and I'm glad you like this recipe. I'll surely share this recipe over there at yours! :D

      Delete
  2. I saw you used the bread tin with a cover. Do you include the cover when you bake it or just for proofing. By the way, I noticed the bottom part of my bread is not dark coloured and its slightly wet even though the bread is done. The top part looks alright. Can you give me some feedback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, yes, my loaf tin has a lid. When I have a 2 pound loaf to bake into a square toast bread, I'll use the lid throughout the entire baking session. For this recipe here, it's not exactly a 2 pound loaf, so I only have it covered for the last 10min of baking to prevent over-browning. You mentioned that the bottom part of your bread is not dark in color, does it bother you that much? To me, I don't care if the bottom of my bread is dark or fair, so long the upper side is nicely done. But if it's wet on the bottom, may I check how do you cool it down once out of the oven. I would always cool bread on wire rack once out of the oven to prevent loaves of buns from getting soggy from steam accumulating on the bottom of the pan. Also, let the loaf or bun cool for at least 15-30min prior to slicing.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jennifer, thanks so much for sharing your bread recipe at International Yeasted Recipe with us. Looking forward to more beautiful homemade bread from your kitchen.
    Hope you're going to have a great week ahead dear.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...