Sunday, September 21, 2014

Slow-braised lamb with black eyed beans




This was the first time I served lamb to my 23mo toddler. I didn't actually intend to make this dish for him. This was made more for my hubby cos I was going out for dinner with the girls and the in laws weren't around, so I decided that I would prepare dinner for the hubby and the little fella before I leave, so they can dine peacefully at home and settle for an early night. 

I was afraid that the taste of lamb would be too intense for the lil' fella and the texture would be too tough for him. However, after the dish was made, I was pleasantly surprised of how soft the lamb had turned into. I let him tried the lamb. He loved it. He actually finished up quite a big portion I plated him. This is quite an easy and convenient one-pot dish. Just chuck in the veg and meat and any sort of beans you have at home, it's a nutritious and delicious meal on its own. I prepared this dish in the morning and just heated it up and plated it for dinner in the evening before I left home. 

I just simply googled for a recipe for lamb stew and I stumbled upon here. I adapted the recipe using whatever I have in my fridge, the results were superb. 

Here's my recipe, adapted from Jamie's Homecooking Skills
  • about 800g lamb steak, diced to cubes 
  • 2 slices of ham or streaky bacon, chopped
  • 1 medium onions
  • 1 parsnip, peeled and cubed or 1 potato, peeled and cubed 
  • handful of fresh brown button mushrooms, cleaned
  • handful of cherry tomatoes 
  • Half a medium carrot, cubed 
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 500g tomato juice (organic tomato juice in a bottle, with no sugar nor salt added) *
  • Salt and pepper (according to taste) 
*If you dont have tomato juice, you could probably use half half of stock and tomato puree.
  1. Heat up 2tablespoon of cooking oil in a casserole pan/ pressure cooker (I prepared this dish using a pressure cooker). 
  2. Stir fry garlic and onion till fragrant. Then add in diced beef, ham and all the mixed veg. When all is slightly brown (in about 3-5min), pour in tomato juice. 
  3. Simmer on low heat for about 15min, then put on the lid for pressure cooker to work. (without a pressure cooker, this dish may takes 2-3hrs to cook on low heat). 
  4. Serve with cooked pasta or mashed potato, or in my case, both :) 
My gf and I had a great time out when hubby took good care of the lil one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...