Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sweet & savory german cookies

When everyone is relaxing having done their 'bah bah sheep' cookies marathon, here I am just starting to burn midnight oil baking my version of CNY cookies. The pre-CNY period is usually quite busy as I tend to my businesses, ie 128 boutique and the organic shop, Just Health. CNY is usually the busiest period for us, but we never complain, cos it's a good sign. Due to time constraint, I am not gonna shape the cookies into sheeps nor any other animals' shape. They are just gonna be the conventional shape. This round, I made some sweet ones, using the same old recipe I've been using for these melt-in-the-mouth German cookies, and I have also made some savory ones, recipe adapted from Joyce's cream cookies cookies. I do like the savory ones cos they are not that sweet, yet its creamy and savory notes make it morish. I felt it would be a great gift to my in-laws as they don't favor sweet stuffs. Best of all, I wouldn't have problem letting my little fella munching on them when we are at the in-law's cos they are made by myself with less butter and less sugar, so they pass the 'toddler' cookies requirement. 

I have made these in different colors. Now that the little fella is at the age where he's recognizing colors, shapes and alphabets, I thought I could use this as an opportunity to reinforce his color recognition. For the pretty fuschia pink color ones (it was intended to be a light pink, I guess I went OD a little on the food coloring) I added about 2 drops of red food coloring onto half of the cookie dough. For the brownish color ones, I added about 2tsp of cocoa powder into the dough. 






Here are the recipes for the savory cream cheese german cookies. adapted from Joyce's 

Ingredients (makes about 70-80 small cookies) 
  • 250g salted butter, room temperature (I used 220g unsalted butter and added 2tsp salt to it) 
  • 50g icing sugar (I used brown sugar which I have blitzed into powder form) 
  • 100g cream cheese, room temperature (I used 120g cream cheese) 
  • 250g potato flour/ potato startch 
  • 160g all purpose flour (I used Japanese superfine flour) 
  • 2tsp black sesame 
For the sweet german cookies, here's the recipe I've always been using, from my old post
  • 125g unsalted butter, chopped
  • 40g icing sugar (I used brown sugar which I have blitzed into powder form) 
  • 125g potato flour
  • 80g all purpose flour (I used Japanese superfine flour)
Method
  1. Beat butter and sugar till fluffy
  2. Sift in potato flour and superfine flour, mix to form a soft dough. 
  3. Roll into small balls (about 2cm in diameter), arrange on baking tray and press lightly with a fork, dip the fork in water so the cookie dough wont stick to the fork). 
  4. Bake in a preheated oven at 165degC for 15min. 
He loved the colorful cookies, he kept on stealing from my baking tray. 

I'm linking this post to Cook and Celebrate: CNY 2015, organized by Yen from Eat Your Heart Out, Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe, and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids. 



5 comments:

  1. Nice cookies mommy Jen! Good idea of adding black sesame. These must be really, really delicious! :)

    Thanks for linking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Chinese New Year to you, Joyce! Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    I see that your boy is feeling relaxed enjoying views from the window while enjoying the freshly baked cookies made by you. Lucky!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, happy Chinese New Year to you. Hope you're enjoying it despite of where you are. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on Health Nut Wannabe Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...